Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What a weekend!

Normally for the weekend after Thanksgiving, the Blevins family heads up to their cabin, chops down a Christmas tree, and finishes off the Thanksgiving leftovers.  This year of course was different.  The parents stayed home over the weekend, and Mom and Wyatt or going to buy a tree together this year.

I love this cozy weekend at the cabin, and look forward to it every year.  While I was disappointed to not be headed into the woods this last Friday, I can't say that I sat home and moped.  This was a weekend to end all weekends.  Tima came home after a year in the army.

Tima and Masha
Tima is the Ivanyenko's oldest son. After graduating from a two-year technical school at the age of 19, he packed up and headed off to the army for a year, as all Russian men from ages 18-27 must do.  I remember when I got here in June, Tanya said to me, "Only four more months and Tima comes home!" and suddenly, it's here.

And let me be clear, this was Tanya's day.  I can't imagine what it would be like to have your child gone for a year.  He was serving not too far from us, but the army doesn't give the soldiers leave.  Tanya saw him once or twice while he was serving, and that's a miracle.  Fortunately, he was working in an office on a computer during his service, so he could Skype the family often, and what a blessing that was to them! But enough of that, Tima's home.

Friday was pretty quiet, but on Saturday things started shaking.  He was coming home that evening, so we planned a big party at the church for him, and what a party it was!  I'll spare the details, but suffice to say Tima has a lot of friends who are thrilled that he's home.

Tima and a buddy at the church party

The next day, our youth group went paint-balling, Tima included (to the delight of many).  I spectated and took photos, because my brother Wyatt is crazy about paintball and I've seen far too many welts and bruises to willingly subject myself to that kind of torture. But a good time was had by all! Our youth group is mostly guys (really, we have two girls who come) which as many of you know is rather unusual for youth groups or churches in general.  This was a great activity for some male bonding (and female bonding for Katya and Anya who clung together through the whole thing, but they were great sports!)

Tima, Kai, Roma, Senya, ready for action

Anya and Katya, you go girls!

This creepy abandoned building was perfect for paintball

Our fearless leader Vasilev (with paint on his nose)

Go Red Team!

Since Saturday everyone in the house has been in a cheery mood, especially Tanya and Ilya.  I'm looking forward to getting to know Tima (who is right now outside working on installing a heater in my room, bless him) and I'm as happy as ever to be part of the Ivanyenko clan.

Пока Ребята, Russian Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment