Saturday, May 25, 2013

Feast and famine

"There once was a girl with one little curl,
right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good, she was very very good,
but when she was bad she was horrid."

For the little girl (with the little curl), there is not middle ground; very very good, or horrid.  I feel that way about camp work; at least, this poem has always reminded me of that.  Not that it can be good or horrid, it's never really horrid, but that kind of extreme describes the nature of working at camp.  The phrase "feast or famine" sums it up as well.  If I'm not up to my eyeballs in work or living at camp, I'm cooling my heels.  There is no middle ground!

I have been busy up to my eyeballs since the beginning of the month.  I have had 20 separate lessons to write for camp; a pretty tall order!  I write all of the lessons myself, from scratch; there is no ready camp program for us.  So that's where I've been the last month, locked in my room on my computer, writing lessons.

Today, I'm going to give you, my faithful readers, a sneak preview of this years lessons!  The theme of camp is "Star Tours: Route 66".  The kids visit a new planet every day, and each planet has a different theme; communication, water conservation, a planet of wild animals, even a planet where Darth Vader has stolen the sun!  

So here you go, a little taste of English camp!






Well, I sure hope we can get the sun back!  This is day five of the second session, which is kids aged 14-20.

I'm excited, I don't know about you!  I head off to Ukraine on Tuesday for more document jockeying, so expect a report and pictures of me with my dear friend Margarita (she's from Ukraine and studied at UM; we became fast friends).

Two of my favorite girls; Rita on the left, Eli in the middle.  From our college days!


Пока ребята,

Russian Jane


No comments:

Post a Comment