Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I survived camp! No internet even!

Holy wow am I ready to never see a child again.  100 little kids who all wanted to speak English and run around like "total wackos" (as one of our text books put it).  I'm dog tired, but it was actually an excellent 10 days.

Right now, I'm back in town (in Novorossyisk) at Masha's house.  She's a wonderful girl who was a counselor at camp, and we became fast friends.  I'll be staying with her the rest of the summer.

While at camp I was without internet, but I kept a camp journal.  You'll notice the entries get shorter and shorter as time goes on and I get more and more exhausted.  I'll give you a few entries at a time so it's not overwhelming.  Photos later!

Happy to be "home", and happy to be back online!  Also, it's my birthday, and it's already shaping up to be the best birthday ever.

Пока ребята, Russian Jane


The Camp Diaries



Hey guys!  I’m without Internet access here at Mountain Springs, so I’m keeping a camp journal instead!  I’ll put it all up when I get back to civilization.





DAY ONE: THEY MADE US DANCE



Dannah and I arrived at the camp around noon, and went to work right away putting together journals for the campers (the ones that almost killed us the other day) while everyone else worked on other campy projects, like hanging banners and making nametags for the campers.



The theme of the 10-day English camp is “Route 66: Lost and Found”.  All the vocab has to do with time, directions, etc.  The topics look like they’re going to be excellent conversation starters for deeper things.  The last day even has a section about finding direction in your life.  It should be pretty fun.



Our camp schedule is going to rigorous to say the least.   Our day starts at 8am and ends at 11pm.  Thank goodness, there’s a quiet hour in the middle (тихий час, I think that sounds really cute) explicitly for napping.  Our days are filled with meetings, lessons, games, and a whole lot of together time.  I think I'm going to be totally exhausted by the time this camp it over, but it's going to be a blast, I already know.



My co-counselor is Varvara, a fireball from Sibieria.  We've become fast friends, and I'm excited to share this adventure with her.



In the evening, we had a little party for us councelors and workers at the camp.  And by little, I mean huge.  There weren't that many people, maybe 50, but they did it up right.  We met in the soccer field where there were two rows of plastic chairs.  We were instructed to all stand in the middle, boys on one side girls on the other.  Then, Varvara and another bloke Peter taught us a country dance that turned into giggling bedlam pretty quickly, but it was really fun.  They taught us another dance after that, and everyone participated.  Initially it sounded exactly like the kind of thing I would hate, but it was really fun.



After that, the camp leader Andree gave a speech and we all prayed together.  Alyssia did the same, and the lit a big bonfire to signify the start of camp.  After that, we did something really neat.  They gave us about three big flat ribbons that we tore into little strips.  We then went around to everyone and tied a ribbon on their wrist while giving them a blessing.  It was really touching, and by the end of it my wrists were full of ribbons. 

After the party, a group of us went down to the rocky beach and sat on the shore for a bit in the starlight.  We were all pretty exhausted, but it was a beautiful night and in that light, the sea really did look black.  On a side note, in the background were Russian screaming and cheering because Greece was playing Russia in Eurocup.  They love soccer here.


We walked back and I collapsed into bed, pretty satisfied with my day of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment