Monday, July 2, 2012

My new routine and more camp news

Well, I had a morning meeting today with Anya and Julia and the English Studio to see exactly what I'll be doing until August (in August I'm going to work at a Christian camp in the same location, it's for a whole month so I'll probably go ahead and get internet).

Turns out, not as much as I thought.  It's summer break, so there aren't many English lessons during the day, all that's going on are evening conversational classes.  So I work every weekday evening from 7-9:30 or so.  If people show up, that is.

Hey, prayer requests!  Let's go:
     - I need something to do during my days.  I'm not about to sit on my
       bum all day, but I don't quite know what to do to be effective
     - I'm still having a bit of a rough time understanding people, which has the potential to lead to
       some hilarious and/or really bad moments of miscommunique
     - This dang cold just won't quit

Ok guys, thank you for keeping up with my life over here in the Orient and please be praying!  And now, another installment from camp.

Пока ребята!  Russian Jane


I NO LONGER KNOW WHAT DAY IT IS.  I CAN BARELY REMEMBER MY NAME.



So camp.  In the last couple days, we’ve done a week’s worth of things.  I can’t even begin to write down everything we’ve done.  Here are the highlights.



-       English lessons: I thought I would hate teaching English (I did it in Southeast Asia and it was not my cup of tea) but I actually really love it, probably because I speak Russian so we can actually communicate

-       I’m tired and hungry all the time because it takes so much energy to speak, think, understand, read, and write in Russian all day

-       There are some of my girls I’ve fallen in love with and some I want to lock in the bathroom.  Little Alina, “sweet as can be”?  Spoiled.  A brat for the ages.  Katya, the sassy-pants, is my total favorite.

-       A team of Americans (students from a Chi Alpha chapter at UT San Antonio) came, sang camp songs, played baseball, and left

-       We began our Olympic games in preparation for Sochi 2014; we already had the baseball championship and my team won.  Hear that mom, I won at a sport thing!

-       Varya, my co-counselor, is a complete and total blessing, and we’re a terrific team

-       I’m making friends



I’m so tired that at night, when I should be keeping my camp journal, I just collapse into bed.  I get real cranky if I don’t sleep enough, or if I don’t have my nap during quiet hour, which is kind of new for me.  It’s hard work, but it’s fun, and rewarding.  The camp director already wants me to come back and maybe work on a more permanent basis at the camp, which honestly I would be happy to do at this point.  There is this English camp in June and then Logos camp in August, and I’ll be at Logos camp. I’m pretty excited.



My entries keep getting shorter and shorter.  I’m going to fall asleep with my face on the keyboard.  I’m the most tired girl currently living, but I’m very very happy.



DAY SEVEN: A MONTH OF STUFF IN A WEEK



Puzzles.  Sumo.  Americans working for Chevron.  Hotdogs for breakfast.  Beach.  Movies.  We won the flag.



Man oh man this camp stuff is tiring.  At about 4pm today, I pretty much gave up hope for the Russian language and spoke English the rest of the day.  Fortunately many of the counselors speak excellent English, but it was still frustrating.  Sometimes you just have those days where you can’t understand anything and can’t say anything right, and this was one of them.  Ironically, the theme of today’s English lesson was “lost in translation”, and I certainly felt lost.



I just brushed a mosquito off my arm.  Inside.  I’m being eaten alive.



In other news, I haven’t spoken to my family in over a week and I’m less than amused.  I see some of the girls cry because their mom didn’t call them three times that day, and I want to dunk them in the toilet.



Right now, my roomie Serafima is talking to me.  I just kind of giggle and say “da”.



So far, I’ve really enjoyed being a camp counselor even thought I occasionally want to punch children.  I always swore I would never work with kids, and that I would never teach English, but God certainly had other ideas.  But, I'm here to help, and if it means teaching the kids British idioms for an hour (“we get along like chalk and cheese”?) so be it, I’m happy to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment